Your brain and COVID-19Feeling stressed in these uncertain and difficult times?
Wonder what it is doing to your brain?
Feeling unfocused and anxious? You are not alone!
Stress and grief affect your brain in many ways. Exposure to chronic stress actually shrinks your hippocampus, which is in charge of learning and memory. It weakens your immune system and makes more beta-amyloid plaques which is associated with accelerated aging and Alzheimer’s Disease.
Stress impairs your ability to focus and function.
So, what are we supposed to do to combat stress and improve our brain function?
1 .meditate, breathe, practice mindfulness-helps to calm your system and bring oxygen to the brain so that you can remember better
2. pray-letting go and giving it over to a Higher Power is very calming
3. Learn a new hobby-very stimulating for the brain and fun
4. socialize-call friends and family, zoom meetings, don’t stay isolated
5. exercise-helps to produce BDNF (brain-derived neurotrophic factor) which helps grow new brain cells
6. Sleep-best cure for most ailments-a good night’s sleep detoxes the brain
7. kill the ANTs–automatic negative thoughts-write them down and turn them into PETs-positive empowering thoughts
8. practice gratitude-focus on what you have
These are just a few ideas to improve your mood, help you feel calmer, and enhance memory.
Let me know what works for you.